The International Scholar Exchange Fellowship (ISEF) 2021-2022 program aims to enhance regional academic exchanges and cooperation by providing Asian scholars with an opportunity to live in Korea and conduct research for six months or one year. This program was established in 1999, and began supporting scholars the following year.
The ISEF program provides outstanding scholars with comprehensive research expenses during their stay in Korea, which include round-trip airfare, settlement support, a monthly research stipend, research grant and medical insurance. During their stay in Korea, fellows enjoy full access to the Chey Institute’s facilities including seminar rooms and library to help their research.
Scholars are expected to conduct research in the fields of humanities, social sciences, energy, IT, and life sciences. Scholars are given the freedom to choose their research topics within these fields.
The Chey Institute also offers Korean language classes, seminars, and educational trips to cultural sites and industrial facilities to enhance the ISEF fellows’ understanding of Korea.
Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Thailand, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam
University faculty and institution researchers from eligible countries with doctoral degrees. Applicants, in principle, must be 50 years old or younger
*Applicants should be able to carry out research in either English, and they should not have any health issues to hinder their research
•1 Year – From September 1, 2021 to August 31, 2022
•6 Months – From September 1, 2021 to February 28, 2022 – From March 1, 2022 to August 31, 2022
1) Online application
2) Research proposal
3) 2 letters of recommendation
4) Certificate of employment
5) Certificate of Ph.D degree
6) Research samples: 2 books, 2 research papers, or 1 book and 1 research paper
7) An English abstract of no more than 300 words must be provided for each book or research paper
8) Letter of research affiliation from the host institution in Korea (if available at the time of application)
February 26, 2021
* All original documents must reach the Chey Institute by the deadline.
* Announcement of results: March 31, 2021
– Monthly research stipend of 3,000,000 KRW (approximately 2,600 USD)
– One-time grant of 1,000,000 KRW after submitting the final research paper by the end of the fellowship
* If fellows do not enter Korea within one month of the recommended date of entry set by the Chey Institute, the fellowship will become invalid.
•Publication incentives – 2,000~5,000 USD (for an article published in journals indexed in SSCI, AHCI, and SCI)
– 1,000 USD (for an article published in journals indexed in the National Research Foundation of Korea)
* Publication incentives are provided for articles published within 2 years of the date of the fellow’s return to his/her country. The article must indicate that the research was funded by the Chey Institute’s ISEF program. The amount of incentives may vary upon careful evaluation of the journal’s influence and the writer’s level of contribution.
•Settlement support One-time payment of 1,000,000 KRW
•Round-trip airfare Economy class round-trip airfare between Seoul and the nearest the airport from the fellow’s residence
•Medical insurance – National health insurance – Accident insurance
* Research expenses for the International Scholar Exchange Fellowship Program are provided directly to the fellows, and not to home institutions or host institutions.
Please check the link for more details: https://www.chey.org/Eng/Isef/Intro/IsefIntro.aspx